So I went to the MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) specialist yesterday. I thought I was going to have my cervix messured, but didn't. I was informed they really can't tell the difference between the cervix and uterus until around the 18th week. Now I am not sure if I go back at that time or not, they really weren't clear. I did get another ultrasound done though. According to the MFM doctor, what my Ob thought was a gestational sac, was not. He said it was just fluid in my uterus. He said it was most likely my uterus lining being sluffed off, like when preparing to get pregnant or have a period. Good news, it was not a miscarriage. Good/bad news, it is not another baby. Another thing I found out, you can have kidney problems when you have a bicornuate uterus. I did not know this. Now I'm not sure if it is something that develops during fetal growth or comes on with age. So we looked at my kidneys as well. They looked good and in working order. Overall, it was not a very productive visit, but I did get another ultrasound and got to see my baby wave at me. Well wave with what little of a hand it has. This picture is zoomed in, the fetus is not that big yet.

FYI- The baby's head is on the left with the body to the right. The little white (detached looking) spot kinda in the middle of the "kidney bean" (baby), is its hand. If you look close, you can see the beginning of the fingers.
Until next time...
So glad all is still going well with your pregnancy and that it was just fluid not a miscarriage on the other side. Your scan picture is fantastic.
ReplyDeleteAs for the kidney thing, the reasoning is because lots of people with unusual shapes of uterus have only one kidney or kidney problems too. The reasoning being is that when you yourself are only 6 weeks gestation this is when both your uterus and your kidneys would form. As they form at the same time the thinking is that if one doesn't form properly it is possible the other won't either. So if you haven't got any kidney problems now hopefully you should be no more likely to get any in the future.